Thursday, March 5, 2009

OFF to the Flea Market......... for fresh Produce..

In N.C. it is nothing like N.Y.C. that I grew up in. In the city I would go to the corner fruit stand to get my produce, different areas of N.Y.C. have different items, and since I have been gone I am sure it is way different. When I was in my late teens , I lived in an Italian neighborhood and I remember one of the produce stands having all these strange looking things, which I now know was Fava beans, white eggplants, and other things I can't think of at the moment. My mother worked in a fruit market in a Jewish area when I was a child and there they had rice cakes, lots of dried fruits and nuts.
Here in N.C. I have found the best place to get tropical produce is at the flea market near bye. They are open Saturday and Sunday, but I love to go late Friday afternoon when a few produce stands start selling their wares early. I can get a box of Mangos for $12, fresh Papaya, dried chilis
Since being married to my husband I have learned to appreciate foods I knew nothing about and use them in my cooking. Tonight I hope to find.. Mangos, Papaya, mini bananas( aka. apple bananas), garlic, red onions, green bananas, green onions( aka scallions), dried chipotle chili, cucumbers, carrots. I can come away with a egg carton full of vegetables/fruits for $25 to me that is a deal.

No comments: