Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The challanges of going from 4 to 3 and different menus..

My Son went off to college this year so it is challenging going from cooking for 4 to cooking for 3.
First of all I have much more leftovers, some that we eat and some that no one wants. I am trying to adjust and it has gotten better but there are still days when I over cook.
Another challenge is cooking for my family . Lets see if I can explain why. My husband is from Honduras, Central America and grew up eating lots of fresh produce, home made soups , rice , beans and at every meal some type of meat. My Son would eat anything I made, whether it be vegetarian, meat, fish ect.. My daughter is my problem eater.. she will not eat anything made with tomato sauce( kind of hard for me since I grew up eating a lot of Italian food), no red meat/pork on almost all occasions( she likes pot roast, but just eats the veggies and beef soup but also just eats the veggies) , she will eat a few pieces of chicken when I make it, but there must be side dishes, she does not like fish,except for shellfish, and even some vegetarian dishes she will not eat.
I grew up in NYC, in a Italian, jewish household so pasta was a big staple and tomato sauce. My husband does not like to eat a lot of pasta( he will eat it maybe once a month) , and my daughter will not eat it if it has tomato sauce, if I make something that doesn't have tomato sauce that is great. So there goes baked ziti, lasagna, eggplant parmaigana out the window. When I make a pasta dish that my daughter and I both like hubby will not eat it and makes himself some soup or something. I also do not eat any kind of pork, beef, poultry, only fish.Cooking is more than a challange in my house sometimes I want to cry.
When we all eat the same meal it feels like a victory. Menu planning is always challanging and I know I need to have some kind of extra meal on board for either hubby, dd or me. Sometimes I just want to scream!! That is my challange and my rant for the day. Cheryl

No comments: